Download our in-depth report on defence procurement in the Japanese market and get ready to win business in partnership with Japan.
Japan’s Defence Industry is Full of Opportunities for UK Companies to do Business in Partnership with Japan.
Historically the United Kingdom has maintained close relations with Japan, with whom it shares a number of similarities. The rapid advance of defence technologies makes it difficult for countries to go it alone on resource-intensive defence programmes, which is creating fertile ground for closer defence and security cooperation between the UK and Japan.
Between 2004 and 2016 Japan and the UK have signed several agreements and agreed on increased bilateral cooperation in the defence sector. The Japanese Ministry of Defense’s (JMOD) budget of GBP163.28 billion (Dec 2016 exchange rates) for their “Medium Term Defense Program” shows the importance that they place on their future defence capabilities and capacities.[memb_has_membership memberships=REGISTERED-MEMBER]
This budget is intended to counter potential threats from ballistic missiles, terrorism, cyberspace, invasion of offshore islands and other threats to maritime and economic interests. Their procurement strategy focuses on intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities, ensuring maritime and air supremacy, and rapid deployment capabilities to counter all perceived threats.
The scope of the UK’s relationship with Japan has grown in recent years. Japan has the fifth largest defence budget in the world and Japan has shown a willingness to work with the UK Government and businesses, evidenced by the 450 UK companies who already operate in Japan.
Download the British Embassy Tokyo’s guide to defence procurement and start doing business in partnership with Japan.
The report contains the following content:
- Defence Equipment and Services Awarded by JMOD ATLA
- JMOD ATLA and Related Organisations
- JMOD ATLA’s Commissioner
- Five Missions of JMOD ATLA
- JMOD ATLA – Defense Technology Strategy and Medium to Long Term Technology Outlook
- JMOD ATLA – Development Departments, Research Centres & Test Centres
- JMOD ATLA – Major R&D Programmes in the FY2017 Budget Request
- JMOD ATLA – Procurement Process
- Japanese Defence Industry
- Leading Japanese Defence Companies
- UK Companies Providing Equipment and Services to the JMOD
- Leonardo Helicopters Case Study – The JMSDF MCH/CH-101 Helicopter
- Trade Bodies and Associations
- Guide to Doing Business in Japan
- Market Entry Strategy – including Trading Houses
- How to Set Up a Business in Japan
- How to Manage Partnerships with Japanese Companies
- Glossary and Useful Procurement Links
Production of the Japan Defence Procurement Guide for UK Companies was an FCO Prosperity Fund project.[else_memb_has_membership] [/memb_has_membership]
Export to Japan is a digital platform where companies can find the most comprehensive information about exporting their products and services to Japan. Wherever you are in your exporting journey, you can find the information you need to grow your business in Japan in our Step by Step Guide.
Contact us to find out how we can help you do business in Japan.
To keep up to date with all of the latest developments in the defence sector in Japan, please visit our dedicated Defence & Security sector page. High profile defence focused events held in Japan in 2016 include SEECAT and Japan International Aerospace Exhibition. Read our coverage of the events.
Image credits: Leonardo / Kawasaki Heavy Industries | MOD | Jetfly | Eugene Hoshiko | Asterisk Inc | DIT DSO | GOV.UK | JMOD ATLA | Wikimedia Commons | Rolls-Royce | BAE Systems News Release.