Export Documentation Required by UK Businesses
Export documentation can seem quite daunting and complicated to first-time exporters, but don’t let that prevent you from achieving your export goals.
HM Revenue & Customs’ page on import and export procedures covers a wide range of issues across several sectors.
Their simplified guide is perfect for first-time exporters.
Procedures for Exporting Outside the EU
To export goods to countries outside the EU you have to:
- Include the sale on your VAT return
- Make sure you qualify so you won’t have to pay VAT
- Find the correct commodity code for the goods you are exporting (research your commodity code at www.gov.uk/trade-tariff)
- Register with HM Revenue & Customs’ Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight system
- Declare the goods you export using the National Export System (NES) which is part of CHIEF
You may need to check if you need a strategic export licence for some controlled goods, for example military, defence or security related goods. Go to www.gov.uk/do-your-goods-need-an-export-licence to find out if your goods require an export licence.
DITs website contains a wealth of information about export documentation. Go to www.gov.uk/starting-to-export for an overview of exporting.